Abandoned weapons that were once part of toppled dictator Moamer Kadhafi’s arsenal pose an ongoing and serious threat to civilians in Libya, warned a report published by Harvard University on Thursday.
People gather to inspect the damage to the Libyan intelligence building after a bomb explosion, in Benghazi August 1, 2012.
"These weapons may have been abandoned, but their ability to harm civilians remains intact," said Bonnie Docherty, leader of the research team sent to Libya by Harvard Law School and partner organisation CIVIC.
Weapons left behind after last year’s conflict range from bullets and mortars to torpedoes and surface-to-air missiles, creating an “explosive situation” in a country with a weak central government, the report said.
"The sheer scale of weapons here is shocking," co-author Nicolette Boehland told AFP in Tripoli.